Sunday, August 10, 2008

My Christmas when i am 30 years old

For a Christmas party all contestants had to write a story/poem/song/letter of a Christmas when they were/will be 30. It was a secret Santa so you had to leave clues about who you were. I thought I'd post mine to share.

Seated in my living room with my robe and fuzzy slippers I was snuggled down on the coach with a cup of cocoa and a good book. It was late, and I knew I should be getting to bed, but the book was good and the fire was warm. My eye lids drooped as I slowly fell into deep slumber. Then I woke up in a king sized bed with a man lying beside me. I nudged him and he woke up, still drowsy with sleep. “Get up, we’re going shopping” I said. It was the first weekend in December and I was determined to have all my Christmas shopping done before Christmas Eve. Shopping is my favorite part of the holiday; it really puts you in the giving mood. I had several trillion people to shop for; family, friends, coworkers, the mailman. My husband and I had vowed that we would make a list of things to buy, and get it all done this weekend. Knowing us and our lack of focus, it will not be accomplished. I slipped out of bed and threw on jeans, a sweatshirt and my good old tennis shoes. I needed to be comfortable so I didn’t care what I looked like.

I walked down the hallway into the small kitchen and put some toast in the toaster. The house smelled like Christmas, all the poinsettias, scented candles and pine needles filled the house with the most welcoming aroma. Decorations are another favorite part of the holiday. My mom taught me how to hang a stocking before I could walk, and how to make a Christmas tree look store bought before I could write the alphabet. My small house was decked out from head to toe with the Christmas necessities; little singing snowmen, wreaths, stockings, candles, and of course The Tree. My husband staggered into the kitchen and looked at me with a troubled expression. He didn’t want to shop; I guess it’s just not a “guy thing”. Before eight am we were in the car and headed to Target. First stop was to buy mom and dad a new camera, and of course we couldn’t forget the siblings. On the way back I blasted the radio with 102.5 Christmas music, signing off key the entire way home. My husband reluctantly joined me as we screamed the words to Jingle Bells.

Back at our house I decided it was time to bake cookies. I love to bake! Anything with chocolate and icing is perfect. I took out the cookie mixes and we went to work. By the time we finished, 3 hours later, I was sick from eating the cookie dough, and the kitchen was a mess. My hubby and I retreated into the living room and collapsed on the coach to watch my favorite Christmas movie of all time. How the Grinch Stole Christmas on abc was a family tradition. By the time Cindy Lou had finished her little solo song I was out like a light. Oh sweet sleep, my best friend. I woke up with a crick in my neck. The book on my chest fell onto the floor as I sat up rubbing my eyes. The fire had died down, but the embers were still glowing hot. I stood up, slightly confused, and went to build up the fire. I can build a pretty mean fire, if I do say so myself. In a few seconds I had the flames roaring back to life, and I went back to the couch and began to read. "What if it be a poison, which the friar subtly hath minister'd to have me dead, Lest in this marriage he should be dishonour'd…"


I woke up with a start in my king sized bed as the alarm beeped like crazy. I walked towards the alarm clock which read 5:15. Another day at work, I moaned. Work isn’t too bad though, the kids are great and I love acting like I’m still a teen in school. However, today was the last day before Christmas break and I knew these kids would be stoked. I looked out the window and realized it had snowed; oh more fun for the kids. I put on slacks and my winter sweater grabbed my bag, made a cup of tea, kissed my husband and got into my car. When I got back home I was excited, finals were over and all I had to do was grade some essays and I was done till next year. I called my husband and asked if he wanted to go call for Chinese, he hungrily agreed. I ordered half the things on the menu, and started packing for our trip down to St. Louis. My mom and dad invited us down there for the holiday, and I wouldn’t miss that for the world. The whole family was coming in town, and I knew mom, with her great cooking, would stuff us up with all the best food. My husband came home and we ate our yummy dinner.

The next day we got ready to leave. When the car was packed, and I had gotten my mp3 player fully charged we set off on the 5 hour drive to good old MO. Even though I hadn’t lived my entire live in MO, I had spent enough Christmas Holidays there that it felt like I’d lived there my entire life. On the drive down I remembered the Christmases when I was a kid. Lining up in a train, with me in the back (being oldest has its disadvantages), and running down stairs to see what Santa had left. We’d spend all day opening up the thousands of presents, but we never forgot to thank god for sending Jesus to us. That was one memory that never seemed to fade. My parents would wake us up in the morning and give us all “religious presents”. These were little reminders of what the day was really meant to celebrate. I fell asleep as we crossed the Mississippi, and woke up in my living room, the sun shining through the huge windows behind me. It was Christmas eve and I ran upstairs to wake up my sister. We then ran downstairs and got ready for our annual Christmas play. As I told her about the dream I had, we laughed at how silly it was. “Who was your husband??” she asked while giggling. “Who knows” I said, “but he was definitely a cutie!” Then she asked, “Do you think that's really what will happen.” I answered “If it does, I’m glad when I’m thirty I’ll still be having Christmas with our family”

No comments: